Friday, August 29, 2008

Student created Writing Handbook

Nancie Atwell and the TC Reading and Writing Project folks advocate student creation of a writing handbook, which documents mini-lessons in a condensed, readable reference. As I considered moving away from chart paper to smart notebook, I began thinking of the electronic possibilities for students to keep their writing handbook. Then I vacillated ... maybe I should keep one handwritten remnant in writing workshop. These kids won't necessarily have access to laptops in class in high school. They do NEED to know how to take notes, and take notes onto paper. Also, I think having it written out to be referred to as they peck away at the computer keys would be helpful.

So, I brought the problem to part of my MS team that seemed willing to brainstorm with me for a few minutes. They presented lots of great insights and ideas, especially regardng the portability of the handbook between home and school. We've gone to great lengths to reduce the number of workbooks, notebooks, and textbooks our kids carry around with their 8 lb computer. Then Joy says, all innocently after being quiet for much of the conversation, "Why not just use a wiki?"

Why NOT just use a wiki? It's portable. It's condensed and instantly indexed. It provides space for true collaborative work.

I think two students will be the scribes for the day, and will need to take notes from the mini lesson. They will post their notes on the class wiki (probably through wetpaint.com) so that the writing handbook is always available online and editable by any of my students. It can work towards being a collaborative handbook with examples and guidelines.

Life is happy.

No comments: